ISO 19085-5:2017 gives the safety requirements and measures for stationary and displaceable dimension saws, hereinafter referred to as "machines", designed to cut wood and material with similar physical characteristics to wood.
NOTE 1 For the definitions of stationary and displaceable machines, see ISO 19085‑1:2017, 3.4 and 3.5.
ISO 19085-5:2017 deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events as listed in Clause 4, relevant to the machines, when operated, adjusted and maintained as intended and under the conditions foreseen by the manufacturer including reasonably foreseeable misuse. Also, transport, assembly, dismantling, disabling and scrapping phases have been taken into account.
NOTE 2 For relevant but not significant hazards, e.g. sharp edges of the machine frame, see ISO 12100.
ISO 19085-5:2017 is also applicable to machines fitted with one or more of the following devices/additional working units, whose hazards have been dealt with:
- device for the main saw blade and scoring saw blade to be raised and lowered;
- device to tilt the main saw blade and scoring saw blade for angled cutting;
- device for scoring;
- device for grooving with milling tool with a width not exceeding 20 mm;
- demountable power feed unit;
- post-formed edge pre-cutting unit;
- power-operated sliding table;
- workpiece clamping.
NOTE 3 Dimension saws are used for ripping, cross cutting, dimensioning and grooving.
ISO 19085-5:2017 is not applicable to machines intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres or to machines manufactured prior to the date of its publication.